Chartered Gas Light and Coke Company

The Chartered Gas Light and Coke Company, based in Bridge Street, Blackfriars, was formally established in 1810 and began producing gas in September 1813 after receiving a charter from the Prince Regent in 1812. After the passing of the Gas Bill in 1948, the Company handed over its assets to the North Thames Gas Board in May 1949.

The company’s Superannuation Fund, one of the earliest occupational pension schemes, was established in 1841 with a contribution of £250 from the company, for the benefit of superannuated officers of the Company. Officers earning under or over £100 per annum contributed 2½ and 5 per cent of their salaries respectively, and after at least 10 years’ service they were entitled to a pension according to their years’ service at the age of 65 (or earlier if incapable because of infirmity of mind or body).

Those who had served 10-17 years received a pension of 3/12ths of their annual salary; those who had served 45 years or over would be entitled to 8/12ths of their annual salary.

In September 1851 the members of the Fund voted to absolve it, with minutes in the collection showing that the proprietors intended to use the contribution they withdrew from the Fund at its abolition to establish a new fund.

London Metropolitan Archives holds a number of records relating to the Company’s Superannuation Fund, unearthed during PAT’s Pensions Research Guide project. The records include a printed edition of the Rules of the Superannuation Fund (see image above), letters from staff to the Company’s Court of Directors about joining the Fund, and correspondence, minutes and statement of votes of members relating to the abolition of the Fund.